Monday, May 18, 2009



IN THE JUNGLE AGAIN

“But what is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself. A dependence on the people is, no doubt, the primary control on the government . . . .” Publius

The scenarios we encounter in life often repeat themselves in the uncanniest of ways. Allow me to explain.

As a young man, I found myself in jungles half a world from home. Part of my military team’s goal was to befriend indigenous peoples so as to gain their trust and to lead them to our side of the conflict. One of the primary ways we did that was to offer medical care and advice. Many made their way through difficult terrain, walking for miles in order to present us gifts, such as king cobras, pythons, and bundles of bananas. They frequently came for relief from common illnesses, which were of a variety rarely, if ever, seen by Americans. Some of the diseases were ghastly to behold.

One young man came with what appeared to be a boil on his leg. The symptoms were common: an inflammed appearance, fever, and considerable pain. I feared the possibility of systemic involvement. I therefore made the decision to incise the boil, to remove its contents, and to administer antibiotics in the hope of averting infection.

Upon lancing the area, my worst fears were confirmed. I discovered that the offending substance was far more invasive than that of any common boil. Its tentacles reached well into the patient’s leg, both between and around muscle bundles. I did not use general anesthesia, and the surgical procedure was causing excruciating pain. Yet the patient remained stolid, as if concentrating upon some distant pleasantry.

I found that the way in which this man embraced pain, while stoically heroic, was not exceptional. His people accepted similar surgical procedures in the same manner.

It took time for me to address each tentacle of infection through the various muscle groups of this man’s leg. Once the task was completed, I forced iodoform gauze into the wound to drain and to keep it open. I administered antibiotics and instructed the patient to return each day to have the gauze changed. My intent was to ensure that the wound was properly closing without forming voids.

We were trained as soldiers to work independently, in very small teams. Each of us was cross-trained and capable, if need be, of taking over the job of a comrade. We planned and executed each mission on our own.

Fast forward forty years. Now, as an older man, I am physically removed from the jungles of my youth. Yet I remain as trained -- an independent thinker, not manipulated nor easily led by others, and wary of the mentality of the rabble. I remain cognizant of how symptoms and outward appearances often hide what lies beneath them. I understand how the tentacles of a malignant cancer can wind through the society within which it exists. While I am no longer a soldier as such, I still wage war. I do it not with a rifle, but with my keyboard and a lifetime of experience.

Consider this: I find myself once again in a jungle, not in the Orient, but here in the USA, the birthplace of traditional American culture, with its cherished public faith and its once free economic system which was the envy of the world. The government is out of control, like a rogue lion in the jungle, walking about seeking human beings to devour. We the people seem indifferent to the fact that we are on the verge of a disastrous fate. I observe now, as I did years ago, how corruption and fulminating infection can tear the body apart, resulting in gradual dysfunction.

Make no mistake about it: there is a cancer growing on America’s body politic. Surgery is required if the nation is to survive. There is no anesthetic available. Pain is guaranteed. Will and courage are the primary orders of the day. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar or a charlatan. Both pedigrees are amply represented in Washington.

Will we stop America’s unraveling? The great James Madison, writing as “Publius” in Federalist No. 51, emphasizes that we the people are the primary check on governmental authority. So what will we do about our country’s current crisis? Sister rallies on July 4, with every concerned citizen in attendance, is an excellent idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment